Wednesday, October 22, 2008

With 10th Cav 4th ID !

Ok, so once again, I'll fill everyone in on the Press Center experience later. It's a good story, but there are soldiers waiting for the comp and I'm tired. So I'll so that part later.

Instead I'll move on to my first embed day!

Monday morning I was finally set free from the shackles of the CPIC, where I was dropped off at Camp Prosperity.

Camp Prosperity is located at once was one of Sadaam's wife's palaces. Just beyond the famous "Crossed Swords" The hands of the crossed swords have been removed, as they were modeled after Sadaam's hands, but the swords themselves remain. By far and away the nicest place I've stayed since leaving my house. the palace is all blown up, but being rebuilt so we can give it back to Iraq.

I was picked up by LT. Sheehan and his platoon. "Blood Platoon", 10th Cav, 4th ID. LT. Sheehan is 24, and a graduate of West Point. He's been in Iraq for about as long as I have, but he is very, VERY smart, and obviously has already earned the respect of his men, who have all been here for over a year.

I wwalked with them to the chow hall, which was super nice. I had some fish and some ice cream. The food at Prosperity, like most major camps, is provided by a contractor. In this case, I believe it's Haliburton.

After lunch, and introductions, I was taken to my room, Chu as they call it. It was AWESOME. Private room with a bed and a shower right across the walkway. score! I was told to get some quick rest, and change into my ACU uniform as we were going out on patrol in less than two hours.

At this point I no longer have ANY restrictions on filming, so I have LOTS of pictures and video. My connection right now does not permit uploading. But they'll be coming shortly. Hopefully as early as Friday.

Our mission was to go to a neighborhood and look for a susppected Al Quida member, so we briefed the mission, and we were off! Baghdad is a CRAZY busy city. Cars and people EVERYWHERE. The Army does their best to intigrate into traffic, but they also use a loud police siren with no lights to clear the road. The locals seem very used to their presence. There are bullet holes EVERYWHERE, as well as tons of sheep, dogs, and piles of garbage. You also see blown up remnants of cars. A grim reminder to be carefull yo. There were LOTS of billboards for wierd things, but also cell phones.. Most Iraqis have cell phones. No power, no running water, but at least they can call their freinds and say "hey dude, I didnt shower today!"

We met up with the Iraq army at their LT's house/office. We drank a little bit of what's called "Chi" (pronounced chy) I tried new things! Yes, I took video as proof :) It's like a very sugary tea. We grabbed some IA troops (Iraqi Army) and we were off!

The platoon actually let me walk up to the door and knock with them ,and then when there was no answer, they simply opened it, and walked in. The dude was n his pajamas, and was quickly separated from the rest of the house. The search uncovered an AK47 and a Glock pistol, also it looks like he was driving what used to be a cop car, that was looted in 2003. We had to sit in this house for about 2 hours while the LT asked questions via our interpreter, Leon. The house stuck like poop and was filthy. I took pictures! so keep checking back.

There was some sort of open fire block party in the neighborhood, so we walked over to check it out. The power in Baghdad is turned off at night. So this neighborhood, like many others has a shared generator. It has wires ALL over the place and doesnt look even slightly safe.

We turned the dude over to the Iraqi Army and started getting in the Humvee to go back to the base. We heard and FELT a VERY large boom from nearby, and went to check it out. Iraqi Army beat us to it, it was an IED in a nearby mosqe. I didnt see it, but I FELT it, and could immediatly smell it. We drove super fast to get there. It was very cool to see our troops in action.

I found out when we got back that I would be leaving Camp Prosperity the next day so not to get to comfy. That sucks. I really liked Prosperity. I grabbed a $2.00 DVD of The **portion of title removed so that people dont think that I am enforcing bootlegging movies** Knight, and watched while I fell asleep.

The next day I would leave the wire for the last time, staying outside the wire for the rest of my embedd. Starting at JSS Washash (Joint Security Station) and teaming up with a different group.

More tomorrow!

3 comments:

Kari Bushman said...

What does "outside the wire" mean?

And shame on you for buying pirated DVD's!

Bushman

daveandjoel@yahoo.com said...

*dark* filling in the blank

Lynsee said...

hey if you liked the chi you'll be happy to know it's been a trend here in the states for YEARS! You went half way around the world to try a drink that you can get at wal-mart? You better at least get a Henna tattoo while you're there, no I'm not kidding.