Tuesday, October 21, 2008

I made it out!

Alright, so I was going to blog about some stuff regarding the CPIC in Baghdad. I was stuck there three days, and it really was lame. I wasnt allowed to really do anything, tape anything or even leave.

It was alot like being in a hospitol. So rather that Blg about that lameness, I'll move on to what happened AFTER the CPIC. Which was yesterday.

Yesterday was my first official day as an embed and the experience has been AMAZING.

Now here's the thing. My internet connection at my current location is pretty lame, and there are about 12 guys waiting to use the computer.

SO. Here's what I'll tell you. I'm currently with a group of soldiers that are using an Iraqi house as a base. So I'm off the "FOB" (Forward operating abse) and away from camp, joining the members of "Blood Platoon" 10th Cav 4th Infantry on missions as they patrol Baghdad. I'm out of the gold shirt and kacki pants, and in a full uniform. This is because civilians tend to be targeted by bad guys, and they want me to blend. More on that later as well. We just got back from a night mission, so I'm pretty tired, I'll post more though, don't worry.

I will post some wicked videos this week, but I can't right now. But I was able to tag along as we radined a house, searched a car, conficated weapons, smd questioned a guy. We were on our way back when, in another area nearby, an IED went off. We went to see what happened.

I could smell the IED after we heard the boom, so I knew it was close.

I will take the time after I sleep to write a descent log about it tomorow!

3 comments:

Lynsee said...

JOHN SMITH ROCKS!!!! Holy cow dude, no formal military training and there you are pretty much just tossed into the mix. That takes nads ... seriously. Bushman is doing pretty good in the morning while you're away but keep safe because your listeners want you back in one piece. Hey by the way, can you guys, in the future, refrain from playing songs that use the spelling of words to compensate for a lack of original lyrics. ;) Spelling glamorous over and over again does not a compelling lyric make. Thanks!

Lex said...

HAHAHA John, this is Brett Barrett's daughter speaking on his behalf... WE could tell you were tired by the mixed up letters and misspelled words... Please let our men and women know that we love them, are praying for them, and truly appreciate that they have the guts to get out there and defend our rights,and the rights of others. Hang in there man... and stay safe.

eljonsmith said...

Yeah I was pretty tired that day.

But also that computer I was using was covered in sand. Much like the one Im using now :)